Backup Using Time Capsule with a Windows PC – Airport Utility

Start by installing Airport Utility. This can be downloaded through Apple support, or simply search google e.g. “Airport Utility Windows Vista or 7.

After installing the utility all you have to do is this:

Go to -> C:\Program Files\Airport

Click on -> APDiskPrefs.exe

Click -> Automatically Discover Airport Disks

Click -> Show Airport Disks in the system tray

Look in the system tray (at the lower right corner of your screen), click on -> Airport Base Station Agent

In the menu click -> [the name of your Time Capsule]

Choose -> Connect with Password

Type in the password and click OK. Now your Time Capsule will be visible in My Computer, under Network drives (no mapping required!)

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Tips & Tricks

facebook comments:

7 comments on “Backup Using Time Capsule with a Windows PC – Airport Utility
  1. Kyle Gilmore says:

Okay so I set up my Time Capsule and everything using these settings and on my Mac Mini (Running Windows Server 2012), the backup program on the Server Manager doesn’t let me back up to the Time Capsule as a Shared Network Drive.. Any advice?

2. Dragoncraft says:

Hello I have bought an AirPort Time Capsule and I have a Windows 8.1 and a Mac Mini in my local Network. The BackUp via TC for the Mac is working fine but i can’t tell Windows to use the HDD in the AirPort for System Image BackUp for Windows because it is not formatted in NFTS (which was clear from the start) but is it Possible to make a partitin for Windows there? Or is there a workarround for Windows?

3. Russell Sharp says:

I know this is an old post, but I will throw in my two cents. If I were trying to back up both a PC, and a Mac I would try partitioning the Time Capsule, and formatting one for Windows, and the other for OS X.

• chris says:

Two things on this.
      1. Would I have to erase my TC and start over or could I do that with what is on it now?
      2. How do I do that?

4. Jon Prue says:

I have the same issue that Ron Murrey has. I have a MacBook Pro Retina and a PC. It would be great to know how to backup both of them to the Airport Time Capsule. Ron let me know if you find anything out!

Thanks

5. Ron Murrey says:

Found APDiskPrefs.exe file. Thank you.

6. Ron Murrey says:

I am trying to setup my Time Capsule as a backup to my windows7 PC. I followed the instructions on this webpage but I cannot find APDiskPrefs.exe on Airport Utilities. The normal Airport Utility window comes up for setting up the TC. Where can I get help in setting up the time capsule as my source on my windows computer?